For information, please send an email to email@example.com.
TRANSCRIPTION OF THE MARRIAGE ACT IN ITALY
To be valid in Italy, a marriage celebrated abroad must be registered with the competent Italian Municipality.
To request the registration of a marriage certificate, interested parties can contact the competent diplomatic or consular representation, accompanied by the following documents:
- Original “full” or “unabridged” marriage certificate, issued by the South African Department of Home Affairs, accompanied by an Apostille of the Hague, issued by DIRCO – South African Department for International Relations and Cooperation;
- Copy of a valid identity document of both spouses;
- The consular office will take care of translating the documents for sending to the A.I.R.E. Municipality. The citizen is not required to present a sworn translation;
- The original documents must strictly be kept in the consular archive and cannot be returned after registration. It is advisable to obtain certified copies before delivering the originals to the Consulate.
- The documents can be delivered in person, at the entrance to the Consulate, or by courier. It is not necessary to make an appointment for delivery.
Alternatively, you can present the deed, duly legalized and translated, directly to the Italian municipality to which you belong (pursuant to art. 12, paragraph 11, of Presidential Decree 396/2000).
For general information on marriage, please refer to the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation.
If you wish to get married at this Consulate General you must submit an application for a consular marriage celebration, to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, accompanied by the following documents:
- The Italian citizen must present a certificato cumulativo issued by the competent Municipality. This is a single certificate certifying both the citizenship and the marital status of the applicant;
- “Letter of No Impediment to Marry” issued by the South African Department of Home Affairs. Both spouses are required to present this document;
- If the birth of the Italian citizen took place abroad, outside the consular district of this Consulate General, he/she is required to present his/her full original birth certificate, issued by the foreign authority competent and duly legalized;
- Simple copy of the valid passport of both spouses.
There are some cases in which your request could be rejected (art. 12 Legislative Decree 71/2011 – “The head of the consular office celebrates the marriage between citizens or between a citizen and a non-citizen. The celebration of the marriage can be refused when local laws are contrary to it or when the parties do not reside in the district“). If, on the contrary, the consular office accepts your request (as long as the requirements established by law are met) you can proceed with the request for publications.