This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK





Consent to minors under 14 years of age who travel unaccompanied OR with persons other than their parents

Under Italian legislation:
If a child under 14yrs of age travels with a third party (airline or any other person who is not the child’s natural parent), both parents must provide the third party with a consent declaration whereby they give written mutual consent to do so. The declaration must indicate the full personal details of the person or persons taking charge of the child when travelling abroad and the name of the airline/s.

Please use this form (click here) to provide your consent to other parties travelling with your child.

The completed form must be presented to this Consulate General by at least one of the parents and must also be accompanied by: copy of both parents’ passports; copy of the minor’s Italian passport and copy of the third party’s passport. The other parent, who must be an Italian or EU citizen, is not required to come to the Consulate and may complete and sign the above form, attach a copy of his/her identity document and give it to the parent who will attend this Office.

If one of the parents is NOT a citizen of an EU member, then his/her presence is required at the Consulate where he/she will need to sign the consent declaration in person. A consular fee will be charged to authenticate his/her signature.

On receipt of the consent declaration, this Consulate issues free of charge an authorization for the third party to present at the border.

Please note that for the above service no appointment is necessary.

Under South African legislation:
As from 1 June 2015 minors entering or departing South Africa, regardless of nationality, require their own individual passport and their Birth Certificate in which the child’s parents are identified. All documents must be original or copies certified as a true copy of the original by a commissioner of oaths or the equivalent commissioning authority.

• Where BOTH parents are travelling with a child, parents must produce the birth certificate of the child reflecting the particulars of the parents of the child.

• In the case of ONE parent travelling with a child, he or she must carry the child’s birth certificate and:

(i) Consent in the form of an affidavit (issued no earlier than 3 months prior to travel dates) from
the other parent registered as the parent on the child’s birth certificate, authorizing him/ her to enter into or depart from South Africa with the child he/she is travelling with. For specimen click here;

(ii) Copies of the identity documents or passports of the parents or legal guardian of the child;

(iii) A court order granting full parental responsibilities and rights or legal guardianship in respect of the child, if he/she is the parent or legal guardian of the child; or

(iv) Where applicable, a death certificate of the other parent registered as a parent of the child on the birth certificate,

An unaccompanied minor must produce:

(i) Proof of consent from the parents or legal guardian, as the case may be, in the form of a letter or affidavit (issued no earlier than 3 months prior to travel dates) for the child to travel into or depart from South Africa. For specimen click here;

(ii) A letter from the person which is to receive the child in South Africa, containing his or her
residential address and contact details where the child will be residing;

(iii) A copy of the identity document or valid passport and visa or permanent residence permit of the person who is to receive the child in the South Africa; and

(iv) The contact details of the parents or legal guardian of the child.